Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi on Thursday (March 14th) expressed his sorrow over those killed in recent violence in Port Said, following a court verdict over a football riot there last year, AFP reported.
"We are sorry for the loss of lives," President Morsi said in a televised speech, expressing his "sorrow, and that of all Egyptians, each time that a drop of blood falls on Egyptian soil".
The president said an inquiry was under way to determine who was responsible for the violence.
More than 40 people have been killed in clashes between Port Said city residents and police and general unrest since death sentences were handed down on January 26th against 21 people, mainly fans of the Port Said club, in the football violence trial.
An Egyptian court confirmed the death sentences last Saturday and sentenced five others to life in prison, with 19 more receiving lesser jail terms and another 28 exonerated.