Protests against a film deemed insulting to Islam erupted across the Arab world on Friday (September 14th), sparking violent clashes in Lebanon, Tunisia, Sudan and Yemen.
A demonstrator was killed and 25 people hurt in clashes with Lebanese security forces after an angry crowd of Islamists set fire to a KFC restaurant in Tripoli, AFP reported.
The demonstrators, many of them wearing long beards, poured out of a mosque after Friday prayers in the centre of the city, waving Islamist black flags and shouting against the United States and the Pope, who arrived Friday for a three-day visit.
More than 2,000 Islamists demonstrated in Amman on Friday to condemn the film, as the Jordanian government demanded YouTube remove the movie trailer posted on its website. Amid heavy security, some 400 Salafist jihadists demonstrated near the US embassy carrying black flags.
Protesters broke into the compound of the US embassy in Tunis on Friday, undeterred by volleys of tear gas and warning shots fired by security forces, an AFP photographer reported.
The demonstrators, acting aggressively, managed to clamber over one of the walls around the mission, near the car park where several vehicles had been set ablaze, the photographer said.
Several journalists told AFP they had been attacked by protesters.
Also in Tunis, angry protesters set fire to a US school in the capital, located close to the embassy, official media reported.
"The protesters who attacked the US embassy in Tunis on Friday set fire to the building of an American school located near the embassy and ransacked the place," the TAP news agency reported, citing one of its journalists.
In Khartoum, around 5,000 protesters stormed the embassies of Britain and Germany, which was torched and badly damaged, an AFP reporter said.
In the Yemeni capital Sanaa, security forces fired warning shots and water cannon to disperse crowds of protesters trying to reach the US embassy, AFP reported.
Security forces blocked all roads leading to the mission, after similar confrontations left four people dead on Thursday.
Protests in the region have been taking place since Tuesday, when US diplomatic missions in Libya and Egypt were attacked by crowds over the online video.
An American ambassador and three other US officials were killed in the Libya attack.
In Egypt, protesters in Cairo clashed with police outside the US embassy again Friday for a fourth straight day.
Earlier the Muslim Brotherhood withdrew calls for nationwide protests in response to the film saying they would instead take part in a "symbolic" demonstration.
"In light of the events of the last two days, the Brotherhood has decided to participate only in a symbolic protest in Tahrir Square, so that there is no more destruction to property, or injuries, or deaths, as has happened in the past," the group's secretary general Mahmud Hussein said in a statement.
The Brotherhood's statement came after Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi said during a visit to Rome on Friday that the film is an "aggression" on Islam that distracts from the real problems of the Middle East.
"We cannot accept this type of aggression and attempt to sow discord. These irresponsible actions yield no good and draw attention away from real problems like the conflict in Syria, the fate of the Palestinians and the lack of stability in the Middle East," Morsi said.
The protests came as calls increased by religious leaders and civil society activities for protestors to exercise restraint.
In Libya, demonstrators marched simultaneously in Algeria Square in Tripoli and al-Shajara Square in Benghazi on Wednesday and denounced the use of weapons and violence.
US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has condemned the film as "disgusting and reprehensible" and said "the United States government had absolutely nothing to do with this video."
Both the Egyptian president and the Muslim Brotherhood have issued statements saying the US cannot be blamed for the film.