The Syrian Observatory of Human rights on Wednesday (June 6th) accused pro-regime militiamen on Wednesday (June 6th) of killing at least 55 people in an assault on Kubeir, Hama province.
Among the dead are 18 women and children, AFP reported.
The Observatory said armed men, known as shabiha, went on a killing spree, hacking, stabbing and shooting residents as they tried to flee.
United Nations monitors trying to get to the scene of the "new massacre" were shot at, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said Thursday, calling the killings "shocking and sickening".
Ban discussed the massacre in a speech to the UN General Assembly hours after the killings.
"UN monitors were initially denied access [to Kubeir]," Ban told the assembly.
"They are working now to get to the scene and I just learned a few minutes ago that while trying to do so, the UN monitors were shot at with small arms," he said.
A resident of the area named Laith told AFP he saw bodies of women and children on the ground.
"I saw something you cannot imagine. It was a horrifying massacre […] People were executed and burned. Bodies of young men were taken away," he said.
More than 100 people dead, including 49 children and 34 women, died in a similar massacre in Houla last month.