Nearly 8,500 people -- primarily civilians -- have been killed in Syria since the unrest began in March last year, AFP reported the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights saying Wednesday (March 7th).
Rami Abdul Rahman, director of the observatory, said the 8,458 figure includes 6,195 civilians, 1,835 soldiers and security personnel, and 428 defectors.
The human rights group also said Wednesday that seven citizens were wounded in gunfire "during a raid and arrest campaign conducted by regular forces in the town of Kafr Nebl, Idlib province, in search of people who are wanted by Syrian authorities", according to AFP.
The Syrian National Council said it monitored the movement of tanks, personnel carriers and military forces on their way to Idlib province Wednesday, AFP reported.
Syria's state run news agency (SANA) said Wednesday that "the competent authorities in Homs seized quantities of weapons, computers, communication devices, equipment for generating signals and loudspeakers".
Valerie Amos, the UN undersecretary-general for humanitarian affairs, arrived in Damascus for a three-day visit during which she plans to urge the Syrian government to allow aid workers access to cities that were damaged by conflict, BBC reported.