Yemeni security forces uncovered an al-Qaeda plot to strike vital installations and key government facilities using car bombs in several provinces, the Yemeni Ministry of Interior said Monday (March 12th).
The ministry said in a statement that it is taking the threat seriously and have implemented security procedures to counter the plots.
The plots reflect al-Qaeda's state of hysteria and fear following the success of the presidential election, the ministry said.
The government also reaffirmed that it will continue its war on terrorism until it is eradicated nationwide.
"The Ministry of Interior will make every effort possible to preserve the country's stability and security," said Abdo al-Janadi, the deputy information minister. He said Yemen's security services will take every threat seriously, which will enable them to stay on top of their responsibilities.
According to al-Janadi, recent security precautions include the installation of cement protective barriers and fences around areas of vital importance, state facilities, and foreign embassies to prevent car bomb attacks.
"The entire community should be on security alert, and combating terrorism should be part of the community's culture so that all citizens participate in countering it," he said.
Yemen's naval security and coastal defence forces also increased security procedures in response to the threats.
Their commander, Staff Maj. Gen. Royce Moujawar, urged naval units during field visits Saturday on the Arab Sea and Red Sea to exercise vigilance, increase their security awareness, and raise the level of combat readiness to be able to respond to any terrorist threat.
"Raising the level of preparedness in the military and the security services and in provinces that are constantly threatened by al-Qaeda is in response to the car bomb attacks that the organisation carried out," said Col. Mohammed al-Maori, the interior minister's press secretary.
Al-Maori said security committees in all provinces tightened inspection procedures at city entrances, military checkpoints, and near government facilities to counter potential terrorist acts.
"The truth is the organisation has been besieged and weakened to the point of exhaustion, which is evident in the fact that the group could not avenge the killing of key leaders such as Osama bin Laden and Anwar al-Awlaki," researcher Essam al-Qaisi told Al-Shorfa.
"If the security and military measures succeed in encircling the organisation in the southern regions, I believe that would spell the end of organisation in Yemen, and it could possibly flee to Africa," he added, alluding to Saudi Arabia's success combating al-Qaeda in its territory, which triggered the organisation's move to Yemen.
Meanwhile, Yemeni security forces have scored a number of recent successes.
Several missiles were seized from a truck transporting flour and foodstuffs during a security patrol, security services in Aden province said Tuesday (March 13th).
Army and security forces responded to a car bomb attack Tuesday in al-Bayda, leading to the killing of the province's al-Qaeda chief, Naser al-Dhafri, and another militant, AFP reported.
Al-Dhafri was the newly appointed local al-Qaeda commander in al-Bayda province, replacing Tariq al-Dahab, who was killed last month.
Security forces also captured last Saturday four Somalis suspected of being members of the Somali al-Qaeda-affiliated movement al-Shabaab, Yemen's Interior Ministry said.